Makes 13 eggplant rolls
1 medium-sized eggplant
olive oil, for brushing
2 cups part skim ricotta cheese
1-1/2 cups shredded part-skim mozzarella, divided
1/2 cup grated parmesan, divided
1 clove garlic, minced
3 fresh basil leaves, coarsely chopped
2 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
1/2 cup fresh spinach leaves (stems removed)
1 jar (24-ounces) marinara sauce
1. Preheat oven to 400F.
2. Lightly grease a 8x8 baking dish with cooking spray and set aside.
Prepare the eggplants.
3. Cut eggplant lengthwise into 1/8-inch-thick slices; you should get about 13 slices total. (I use a Mandolin slicer which creates thin, even slices.)
4. Lay slices on a baking sheet; sprinkle with salt on both sides and let stand for about 10 minutes. Using paper towel, pat slices dry.
5. Brush both sides of eggplant slices with olive oil and transfer back to the baking sheets in a single layer.
6. Roast the eggplant slices for about 8 minutes; flip over and continue to roast for about 5 more minutes, or until tender. (Pictured)
7. Remove from oven and let cool.
In the meantime, prepare the cheese filling.
8. In a large mixing bowl combine ricotta, 1/2 cup mozzarella, 1/3 cup parmesan, basil, garlic, eggs, salt and pepper; mix until well incorporated.
9. Spread 1/2 cup of marinara sauce onto the bottom of the previously prepared baking dish.
10. Divide spinach leaves among eggplant slices, creating a thin layer of spinach. Then, spread ricotta mixture down the center of each slice. (Pictured)
11. Roll up prepared eggplant slices and place them seam-side down in baking dish, over the marinara sauce.
12. Use any leftover cheese mixture to spoon around the eggplant rollups. (Pictured)
13. Top eggplant rollups with remaining marinara sauce and sprinkle with remaining mozzarella and Parmesan. (Pictured)
14. Cover with aluminum foil and bake for 20 minutes.
15. Remove foil and continue to bake for 15 minutes, or until lightly browned and bubbly.
16. Remove from oven and let stand for about 10 minutes.
*Note: I actually use 1/2 of the jar of sauce on the eggplant rollatini and the remaining 1/2 as sauce for the side of pasta I serve with it.