Looking for a delicious side to your festive holiday dinner? Do you want a quick, easy lunch that you can make ahead of time? Or, would you like an any-time side that adds protein and brightness to your meal?
This Winter Quinoa Salad has it all!
Winter Quinoa Salad
2 medium butternut squash or sweet potato, About 3 cups, cut into 1/2 inch cubes
5 tablespoons Olive Oil
1 cup Quinoa
2 cups Chicken Stock, Or vegetable stock
1/2 cup Dried Cranberries
1 cup Fresh spinach
1/3 cup Chopped Italian Parsley
1/3 cup Thinly Sliced Scallions
1/2 cup Roasted Salted Pumpkin Seeds
1/2 cup Feta Cheese
1/2 cup Fresh Pomegranate Seeds (optional)
Salt and Pepper
1. Preheat the oven to 375°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
2. Place the butternut squash on the baking sheet. Drizzle with 2 tablespoons of olive oil and sprinkle with a generous pinch of salt and pepper. Roast for 25-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
3. Heat the remaining olive oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the quinoa to the pan and toast for 3-4 minutes, stirring often. Stir in the chicken or vegetable stock and a generous pinch of salt.
4. Bring the mixture to a boil. Turn down the heat to low and cover the pan; cook for 15-20 minutes, or until the quinoa has absorbed all of the liquid. Take the pan off the heat and allow the quinoa to rest for 5 minutes covered. Fluff with a fork.
5. Transfer the quinoa to a large serving bowl. Gently fold in squash, dried cranberries, parsley, spinach, scallions, pumpkin seeds, feta cheese, and pomegranate seeds. Season with salt and pepper to taste.